The immune system is a complex and important network of cells and organs that protects the body from infection. The immune system’s function is to protect the body and keep microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, and fungus out, as well as to destroy any dangerous microbes that get inside. We need our immune system to work in full swing to keep us healthy and optimally functioning. A weakened immune system, where the immune cells are not doing their job properly, can increase the risk of illness and infections.
Components of immune system
Our immune system consists of white blood cells and its types, antibodies, the complement system, the lymphatic system, the spleen, the thymus where some types of immune cells mature, and the bone marrow where the white blood cells grow and mature.
Causes of a weakened immune system :
Symptoms of weakened immune system:
Diagnosis and treatment:
Your doctor will check for your personal and family health history. He/ she will also check for your response to certain vaccines, skin tests and other blood tests. Gene testing is also being used in diagnosing many immunodeficiency disorders.
The treatment depends on the specific cause of weakened immune system. The treatment may include lifestyle changes, stress management, treating existing infections and treating immune deficiency disorders.
- Genetics and Immune Disorders. University of Rochester Medical Center. https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=134&ContentID=122#:~:text=Immune%20disorders%20and%20genes&text=Genes%20also%20affect%20the%20way,from%20one%20generation%20to%20another. Accessed on 28-03-2022.
- Primary immunodeficiency. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/primary-immunodeficiency/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20376910 . Accessed on 28-03-2022.
- Immune system and disorders. Medline Plus. https://medlineplus.gov/immunesystemanddisorders.html . Accessed on 28-03-2022.
- Allergies and the Immune System. Johns Hopkins. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/allergies-and-the-immune-system. Accessed on 28-03-2022.
- Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/allergies/symptoms-causes/syc-20351497. Accessed on 28-03-2022.
- Use of Genetic Testing for Primary Immunodeficiency Patients. PubMed.gov. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29675737/. Accessed on 28-03-2022.